Aliveness began offering free pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) on September 1, 2021
The Aliveness Project’s Free PrEP Clinic, THRIVE, Is Now Open.
Minnesota residents can now receive free pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) at THRIVE, the Aliveness Project’s Clinical Services. THRIVE at Aliveness began offering Free PrEP services on September 1, 2021. PrEP is a daily pill used to lower the risk of contracting HIV. There are two FDA-approved medications for use as PrEP: emtricitabine (Descovy, Gilead Sciences, Inc) and tenofovir (Truvada, Gilead Sciences, Inc.
Through these services at the Aliveness Project, PrEP is available for individuals with or without prescription drug insurance coverage, who have tested negative for HIV, and who have a prescription for PrEP. All medications, clinic visits, and lab tests are fully covered for all participants. Aliveness is providing free and full access to care.
“Expanded free access to PrEP medication and lab costs is a vital component in breaking down barriers to care and bringing us one step closer to ending the HIV epidemic” – Matt Hoppe, Director of Clinical Services at the Aliveness Project.
Daily PrEP use can reduce the risk of contracting HIV from sex by more than 99%. Among people who inject drugs, PrEP reduces the risk of contracting HIV by more than 74%. The Aliveness Project’s THRIVE Clinical Services offers confidential testing, counseling services, and PrEP prescriptions for individuals at high-risk for exposure to HIV.
Candidates for PrEP include (but are not limited to):
- Individuals with an HIV+ partner
- Individuals who have a history of inconsistent or no condom use during sex
- Individuals who have a large number of sexual partners
- Individuals who have been diagnosed with a sexually transmitted infection (STI) in the past 6 month
- Individuals who engage in sex work
- Individuals who engage in IV drug use
- Individuals who engage in transactional sex
- Individuals who have been prescribed post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP)
To make an appointment, contact THRIVE at (612) 822-7946 or you can email [email protected]. When calling please state that you would like an appointment in the PrEP clinic.
The clinic operates on an appointment based system to allow us to see individuals in a timelier manner. Walk-ins may be seen depending on staffing or demand for service.
There is no cost. The Aliveness Project covers lab tests, STI screening, and PrEP prescription.
Traditionally, PrEP medications can cost anywhere from $3,000-$4,000 per month out of pocket. However, our PrEP Specialist will work to have medication costs covered through a patient assistance program.
THRIVE Clinic Services is located at:
The Aliveness Project
3808 Nicollet Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55409
Call (612) 822-7946 or email [email protected] to schedule an appointment. Please state that you would like an appointment in the PrEP clinic.
- Monday: 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (last walk-in accepted at 2:30 p.m.)
- Tuesday: 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (last walk-in accepted at 2:30 p.m.)
- Wednesday: 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (last walk-in accepted at 2:30 p.m.)
- Thursday: 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (last walk-in accepted at 2:30 p.m.)
- Friday: 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (last walk-in accepted at 2:30 p.m.)